Friday, January 23, 2015

Making Choices

Source: https://www.themuse.com


I believe that one of the most difficult things in life is making choices. Ever since growing up, we are expected to choose. Before a certain age, your parents are a big part of your decision-making, but when you are getting older, this becomes more of your own responsibility. As a teenager you have to choose what high school you want to go to, what classes you are taking, what to wear everyday, how to respond to situations, if you want to take a gap-year, if you want to go to university, what university you want to apply for and where...etc.

Luckily, I already have all those choices behind me. I am not sure if I made the right decision in all cases. When looking back, I might for example have chosen a different high school. However, (this is really cliché -but true) if I would not have made the choices I did and if I didn't experience what I have experienced so far, I would probably not be the person I am today. I am happy with who I am so in retrospect, I would have made the very same choices again.

Ruth Chang had an amazing TED Talk called 'How to make hard choices'. So inspiring! The point she arrives at is: When choices are really hard, so when neither of two options seems to have a 'better' outcome, we are not driven by reason to decide, but we define who we are by making our own rationale for the choice we made. Here is the video where she explains it:



Some of the choices I'm dealing with now are:
- Am I going to join a student group (/sorority) and if yes, which one?
- Am I going to look for a job? What kind of student job would I want?
- Should I do more things to meet new people?
- What direction am I going to choose for my study (politics/psychology/law/economics)?



"People say I make strange choices, but they're not strange for me. My sickness is that I'm fascinated by human behavior, by what's underneath the surface, by the worlds inside people." - Johnny Depp

4 comments:

  1. Nominated you to the liebster award;
    clandestine-v.blogspot.com.au

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your blog! Wanna follow each other? Let me know in my blog and I'll follow you right away! :)

    Michaella from http://quitealooker.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete